Monday, August 10, 2009

More Training, Less Blogging

For the last week, I've been thinking about my training schedule leading up to the Half IM in Clermont in on September 25th and the final push to the full IM in Arizona on November 22nd. This weekend I did a 10 mile run with our triathlon group followed by a 1.5 mile run to the ocean with wife Salome and a 20 minute open water swim. Sunday was a 45 mile bike ride with Salome. Later Sunday, I realized that I need to space out my long run and long ride from each other. It just tired me out to do them both on the same weekend.

Meanwhile, buddy John was at the Newport Jazz Festival in Newport, RI listening to the likes of Tony Bennett and the Dave Brubeck Quartet. Between sets, he was reading "Going Long" by Joe Friel and Gordon Byrn -- Training for Ironman-distance Triathlons. John's e-mail comment to me was as follows:

Holy cow Bill -- what have we gotten ourselves into! Seriously though, we both really need to get our training focused if we don't want to crash and burn in Arizona. I'd highly recommend that you pick up a copy of this book for yourself so you can mark it up and go back to it for regular reference. The major points that I'm picking up are that I have to improve the frequency and consistency of my workouts, identify and execute my "key" workouts, not worry too much about the running, put more effort into my "limiters" -- swimming and cycling", refocus my workouts on time vs. distance, be smart about active recovery and, pray that I survive this monster.

I couldn't agree more. I ordered the book immediately from Amazon.com. I'd been thinking about what I needed to do to up the workout schedule. I think I need to move my long run to Wednesday evenings to get separation and recovery from the long ride on the weekend. I also think I need to get in 2 during the week 20 to 30 mile rides to get saddle ready for the ever longer weekend rides.

With few weekend events coming up and a higher level of base building training on the calender, I think I will have less to blog about in the coming weeks. So, as I increase my level of training, I'll probably post fewer blog entries. Its time to stop thinking and blogging about this venture so much; its time to do the training.

1 comment:

Missy said...

Sounds like good stuff to me! I'm a huge fan of the weekday long run. I separate my quality workouts by 48 hours min. Helps a ton!